The Montana Rural Education Association is an organization which is concerned about all aspects of the K-12 public education system in rural Montana. The organization is particularly concerned with the following basic educational premises:
- That equality of educational opportunity regardless of their geographic location is a constitutional right of all Montana students;
- That the state must provide a funding system which provides adequate funds for all students in Montana;
- That the “local control” provided to school boards in the Montana Constitution be realized in all aspects of school district proceedings;
- There must be sufficient state funding is available for implementation of the standards adopted by the Board of Public Education;
- Locally elected boards of trustees must have the authority to make decisions regarding consolidation with other district or expansion of an elementary district to a K12 district.
- MREA is committed to work toward an educational funding system that is weighted to reflect the increased cost of educating students in rural areas of Montana, including all aspects of state ANB funding, transportation and capital outlay.
- MREA will work to ensure that the control and supervision of local school districts remain with the locally elected trustees.
- MREA is committed to work with all other educational groups for the betterment of Montana students.
- MREA will ensure that effective lobbying efforts are undertaken with the Montana Legislature, the State Board of Public Education, the Office of Public Instruction and all other public or private entities that have an effect on rural education in Montana.
- MREA pledges that its members will receive timely information regarding issues that affect rural education in Montana and will also encourage the participation of member districts in lobbying efforts when appropriate.